Primary tabs

Digging out the albums

The Casinos de Jetée-Promenade in 1895.  An anonymous donation managed by the Nice Théâtre de la Photographie et de l’Image. The Ville de Nice is asking its people to look into their old family archives for photographs and souvenirs from the Casinos de Jetée-Promenade, which were destroyed in 1944, ahead of a summer exhibition organised by the Musée d’Archéologie and the archaeological department of the Métropole Nice Côte d’Azur next summer. The deadline is 1st April 2018.

In the Promenade des Anglais’ golden era of the late 19th and early 20th centuries, the Jetée-Promenade was a haven for the affluent British and Anglophile tourists who vacationed in the region. Opened in 1883 at Number 1 of this famous shoreline, the melange of Brighton Pier and Crystal Palace in Hyde Park was brought down by German troops in WWII.

The Ville de Nice, Musée d’Archéologie and the archaeological department of the Métropole Nice Côte d’Azur have all delved back into their files in the search of photographs and video footage of the Casinos de Jetée-Promenade complex, which included a theatre hall, for an exhibition planned for June to November 2018. The establishments have extended the search to the general public and they’re also hoping to meet and interview those who have personal memories of the site. All documents selected will be returned to their owners at the end of the exhibition. For more information: service.archeologie@ville-nice.fr